CAS: Creativity Activity and Service (DP)
CAS Programme Aims
- enjoy and find significance in a range of CAS experiences
- purposefully reflect upon their experiences
- identify goals, develop strategies and determine further actions for personal growth
- explore new possibilities, embrace new challenges and adapt to new roles
- actively participate in planned, sustained, and collaborative CAS projects
- understand they are members of local and global communities with responsibilities towards each other and the environment.
CAS formally begins at the start of the Diploma Programme and continues regularly, ideally on a weekly basis, for at least 18 months with a reasonable balance between creativity, activity, and service. “Students engage in CAS experiences involving one or more of the three CAS strands. A CAS experience can be a single event or may be an extended series of events. Further, students undertake a CAS project of at least one month’s duration that challenges students to show initiative, demonstrate perseverance, and develop skills such as collaboration, problem-solving, and decision-making. The CAS project can address any single strand of CAS, or combine two or all three strands.” (IB DP, CAS Guide 2015)
All CAS students are expected to maintain and complete a CAS portfolio (Managebac at ISA) as evidence of their engagement with CAS.
- Creativity—exploring and extending ideas leading to an original or interpretive product or performance.
- Activity—physical exertion contributing to a healthy lifestyle.
- Service—collaborative and reciprocal engagement with the community in response to an authentic need.
ISA CAS Coordiator