In 2008, a small but passionate group of parents, students, and ISA staff came together and formed the Green Team in an effort to help ISA to make a difference – ecologically – for our community and the world. Starting with just 12 members (six adults and six students), the Green Team now has over 100 student members who meet once a week and who are guided by 22 volunteers.
The Earth is our home. Together we can protect it. At ISA, we pledge to save energy and turn off electronics, reduce waste and recycle what we can, drink from reusable bottles and cups, keep our school and local environment clean and show our ISA community how to be eco friendly.
The ISA Green Team aims to:
- Involve ISA’s community (students, parents, staff) in environmental issues and actions
- Help make ISA’s facilities and operations eco-friendly
- Inspire creative green solutions and wise use of resources
Lower School Green Team
Our lower school has a Grade 2 and 3 team and a Grade 4 and 5 team which take part in:
- Recycled art projects
- Trash collections around the playground areas
- Planting bulbs in the Autumn to help encourage wildlife and enhance our outside spaces
- Campaigns, competitions and general awareness building e.g. using sustainably designed water bottles
Upper School Green Team
Our upper school (grades 6 – 12) has six student teams, which focus on specific initiatives:
- Alternative energy devices – exploring the feasibility of alternative energy sources (building solar lanterns, solar chargers, wind turbines, pedal-powered smoothie makers and spin-art machines).
- Animal habitats –building and installing bat houses, bird houses and bird feeders for the fauna that live on and near the school grounds.
- Recycled Artwork –creating eye-catching sculptures and art installations to raise awareness about climate change, threatened habitats, and endangered species.
- Eco-Friendly Food and Gardening –testing eco-friendly recipes to introduce in the school cafeteria and doing gardening on ISA’s grounds.
- Green Communications –publicising ISA’s green initiatives via imovies, social media, school assemblies and the school publication and media channels.
- “Girls Helping Girls” Sewing Program – sewing gift items using fabric remnants, with sale proceeds donated to ISA’s Tanzania program for girls’ education.
Interested in being a student or parent volunteer for the ISA Green Team?